Happy Third Anniversary!
Ikeda Wisdom Academy: "Protecting the Mentor & the Teachings"
Three years ago, on Jan. 26, 2013, SGI President Ikeda founded the Ikeda Wisdom Academy, an advanced study program for SGI-USA youth leaders. Academy members study The Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra, President Ikeda’s groundbreaking six-volume discussion series on the Lotus Sutra.
In line with its motto, “Protecting the Mentor & the Teachings,” the academy empowers members to clearly understand the lineage of Shakyamuni Buddha, Nichiren Daishonin and the SGI, and deepen their awareness and conviction in the humanistic philosophy of Buddhism to combat today’s rising trend of pervasive powerlessness in society.
As a major milestone toward that end, the SGI-USA held its first youth leaders study exam on Jan. 11, 2015, covering volumes 1–3 of the series.
The ultimate aim of the Ikeda Wisdom Academy is to foster youth who share the same vow and responsibility as their mentor to accomplish kosenrufu, protect the SGI and widely expand our movement for centuries to come.
President Ikeda speaks of this spirit in his inaugural message, saying in part: “Nichiren Daishonin wrote to the young Nanjo Tokimitsu, ‘My wish is that all my disciples make a great vow’ (‘The Dragon Gate,’ The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, vol. 1, p. 1003). This one statement constitutes the Daishonin’s eternal guideline for all youth throughout the 10,000 years of the Latter Day of the Law.
“As youth, you face all sorts of difficulties, and wrestle each day with worries and problems. Precisely for this reason, it is crucial that you stand up with a great vow and strive to achieve a fundamental goal. Once you decide what is fundamental, nothing that happens will sway you, and you can grow by leaps and bounds” (Feb. 15, 2013, World Tribune, p. 2).
Ikeda Wisdom Academy Part II
• Academy members must be district through national youth leaders.
• Academy members must purchase volumes 4–6 of The Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra.
• Academy members must read the assigned material prior to each meeting.
• The syllabus is carried monthly in Living Buddhism and on the tumblr site (see resources section below).
• Material to be covered in February: The Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra, vol. 5, “The Transmission to the Bodhisattvas of the Earth” and “The Dawn of ‘Humanistic Buddhism.’”
• The next Ikeda Wisdom Academy exam is slated for January 2017 and will cover The Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra, volumes 4–6.
• To access the syllabus and discussion topics:
• To access the study videos:
• To submit photos and questions: